- Get introduced to oil spills and who is affected
- Design a cleanup procedure, they create the oil spill & then the students contain and clean their spill according to their procedure
- Explain their procedures and hold up their waste cup to display to other students and see other students’ results. They then evaluate their success/failure on cleaning up their oil spill
- Learn about the Deepwater Horizon (2010) or Exxon Valdez (1989) oil spills
Students will be able to:
- Describe the different methods that environmental engineers use to clean up an oil spill including booms, skimmers, vacuums, dispersants, and absorbents
- Explain how an oil spill affects the environment
This lesson is aligned with these Next Generation Science (NGS) Standards.