- Discuss how plastic enters the ocean and the impact it has when it gets there
- Design and build a filter to remove pieces of plastic from water “heading for the ocean”
- Evaluate the successes/failures of their filter designs, then compete to brainstorm plastic removal/reduction strategies
- Investigate the life cycle of common manufactured plastic items and discuss ways to limit environmental impacts throughout the life cycle
Students will be able to:
- Design and build a filter to remove pieces of plastic from an ocean model
- Discuss solutions to reduce plastic use or to remove plastics from the environment
This lesson is aligned with these Next Generation Science (NGS) Standards.