- Discuss challenges of landing a rover on Mars
- Build landing gear to safely land an plastic egg “rover” on “Mars”
- Discuss what worked vs. didn’t work about designs
- Make comparisons to NASA’s methods, including the Curiosity landing video
Students will be able to:
- Solve the problem of landing a mock rover on “Mars” by designing and building a lander, including defining constraints (e.g., limited materials, budget, and time) and identifying criteria for success
- Evaluate different design solutions for this problem.
This lesson is aligned with these Next Generation Science (NGS) Standards.