- Discuss how recycling plants might separate materials
- Design and test a procedure for separating four materials: rice, iron beads, water, and oil. Student designs are constrained by the tools available for separation and time allowed to perform the separation
- Explain the effectiveness of separation techniques will be reviewed and how to separate recyclables will be re-visited
- Discuss how to separate the components of saltwater
Students will be able to:
- Apply different methods of separation in order to separate a four-material mixture
- Identify sources of error and loss in each separation method used
This lesson is aligned with these Next Generation Science (NGS) Standards.